Dealing With Bee Stings In Dogs

Have you ever been ambushed by bees either as a child or an adult? Their buzzing noise alone can give you chills even if they don’t sting you. But what about when your beloved dog gets stung? Do you know what to do? If you don’t, continue reading to the very end of this article to find out:

Side Effects To Look Out For When Your Dog Has Been Stung

Stings are common in dogs just like in humans. They don’t cause major problems most times. Usually, most dogs develop tenderness and a bit of swelling for a few hours around the area where they’ve been stung. This is pretty normal. You need to keep a close eye on yours to ensure that the swelling remains mild.

However, if the swelling spreads faster to other areas, it could be a sign of a severe allergic reaction. Most dogs that are allergic to multiple bee stings don’t take long before their bodies react. And the reaction can be fatal if they’re not attended to by a vet quickly. So, call your vet immediately you notice your pet reacting abnormally to a bee sting.

Note that allergies to bee stings can cause your pet to go into a fatal condition called anaphylactic shock. This is where a dog’s blood pressure drops significantly causing his body to go into a shock. Some of the symptoms of this condition include excessive drooling, diarrhea, vomiting, difficulty in breathing, lethargy, faster heart rate, pale gums and cold limbs.

If you notice any of these symptoms in your four-legged best friend, save his life by calling the vet immediately.

Home Remedies For Bee Stings

Since bee stings are poisonous, removing the stinger fast will go along way in preventing the poison from spreading to other parts of your dog’s body. It is advisable to use something as rigid as the edge of your credit card to remove it. This ensures that it comes out wholly. After removing the stinger, use the following home remedies to reduce the swelling on his body:

  • Cold Compress

Applying a cold wash towel directly onto the area that has been stung can help relieve your dog’s irritation and reduce his swelling.

  • Baking Soda+Water paste

You can also help your pet feel less painful and uncomfortable by applying a paste made out of water and baking soda. To do so, just mix water with one tablespoon of baking soda till it forms a thick paste, the spread it gently over the stung area.

Note that certain allergy medicines sold in pet stores contain ingredients which can cause even further severe reactions in your dog. So, don’t rush to buy one to give to your dog without consulting your vet. You’ll only make his condition worse.

Overall, bee stings can be life threatening to dogs that are allergic to them. It’s therefore very important that your take your pet to the vet immediately if he has been stung. If you don’t, the poison from the sting will spread faster throughout his body, causing complications which can kill him.